first reference we have to a club in Templeport is to the Bawnboy
Gallowglasses formed in 1888. The club played in some local tournaments
winning their first on November 1st, 1888. The GAA was well in
decline in Cavan when the Parnell scandal broke in December 1890.
The political split that followed in the early months of 1891
divided every parish into Parnellites and Anti-Parnellites. In
January 1891 a new team appeared in Templeport called the Templeport
Raparees. Templeport Raparees was founded in the southern end
of the parish in 1891. A few years later both clubs ceased to
Templeport St. Aidan's
G.A.A Club was founded on 11th December 1910 and has been in existence
ever since. Over the years they have won one Senior Football Championship
(1923), four Senior Leagues, four Intermediate Championships and
six Junior Championships. In underage football they have won three
County Titles at U16, five at U14 and three at U12.
The club had no permanent
football pitch during their first seventy years of existence and
played at over twenty different venues during that time. In 1962
they acquired a field from the Irish Land Commission on the Bawnboy
Demesne, on which they carried out extensive development including
the building of modern dressing rooms.
developments have seen the club take a large leap in to the modern
game with the construction of two new state of the art pitches.
These pitches are due to be officially opened in the summer of
2005 providing Templeport with the facilities required to compete
at the highest levels. The future looks bright for the club both
on the pitch and off.